Saturday, November 21, 2009

Koshari كشري

Koshary is so good! Its cheap and tasty however it will require 2 or more pots. You can use leftover rice and just mix it with the cooked lentils. Its a really convient meal if you want to fill up hungry stomachs.

Ingredients
2 cups of cooked rice
2 cups of brown lentils
2 cups of small tube macaroni
2 teaspoons cumin
salt and pepper
6 cloves of garlics mashed very well
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup of water
2 teaspoons paprika
2 large onions sliced into rings
oil for frying

Method:
in 2 pots, boil lentils in one and macaroni in the other. When lentils and macaroni are tender drain and set aside. If you dont have any left over rice then you can easily make some.

In another pot, placed on medium heat mix the rice and lentils together along with salt pepper and cumin. Mix very well until its all incorporated and you should have a rice and lentil mix. Now you will need to make the dressing for the koshary. In a pan heat some oil and fry the garlic. When its browned add your water and tomatoe paste and paprika and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Set aside. In a seperate pan deep fry the sliced onions until they are dark brown and crispy. Now you are ready to layer the koshari. Place the rice and lentils down the bottom, macaroni, then salsa on top, then the fried onions as the garnish. You can be generous with the onions because it adds a nice crispyness its so delicious!


You can see the layers of rice and lentils, Macaroni, Salsa and onion

1 comment:

  1. Yah Ukhti!!!! ..all this time and I had marked your blog to follow but had not gotten around to browsing through it until now!!! MashaAllah!! Remember how I sais I loooooved Egypcians... you are making me soo hungry!! These look delicious!! especially since I know how they really taste. LOL !! Koshary is one of my favorites.. and Macaroona... Yah Allah!! I will have to make a dish from your blog every week InshaAllah!!! I'm so glad I took the time to 'surf' my blogs today... 'cause I found yours!! :D

    ReplyDelete

i love feedback!